Monday, January 23, 2012

My third chemo treatment was easy.

"Easy", you're thinking? Really? Yeah, really. I had my third chemo treatment two weeks ago. I've been feeling so good, I kept waiting to blog until the side effects hit me and I could tell you all how I dealt with them. Well, friends, the side effects never came.
emoticon

After the first two treatments, I had bone pain, apparently from the Nuelasta. The first treatment was the worst, mainly because I didn't have strong enough pain killers, according to my oncologist. For my second treatment, she gave me stronger pills and the pain was must more controlled. This time, I took one (yes, just ONE) pain pill.
emoticon

After the first treatment, I had a itchy rash on my butt, apparently from the toxins that I was pooping out. The second treatment it was less but still annoying as h*ll. This time? Nothing. I repeat - nothing. No rash, no itching, nothing.
emoticon

Finally, the sores in my mouth - felt kind of like canker sores or like I bit my tongue. Like the rest, with each treatment, it became less and less strong. This time, they were there, but nothing to complain about.

Like so many of us, I was expecting each treatment would be accumulative and I would beel worse and worse. The opposite happened. The only thing that is getting worse is my tiredness. Don't get me wrong, I'm not TIRED, I just have a bit less stamina that usual. Of course there are other possible causes for that....

emoticon I'm not walking as much as I used to (and as we all know, if we don't use it, we lose it). Also, I've been doing more lately, going to seminars, art therapy classes, that sort of thing. I've been using my brain more. I guess that's not a great idea yet.
emoticon

So, friends, I have my last treatment this Friday. At the Cancer Centre where I have my chemo they have a tradition (which I think is common to many centres). After your last treatment, you get to ring this ship's bell. I'm going to ring that bell so loudly, they'll hear it all over the hospital! Let the bell ring!

1 comment:

  1. I am so PROUD of your courage to fight this battle. I love you, Kay Mac!

    ReplyDelete